Thursday 7 March 2013

An Inspiring Story From Member of the Month - Afsheen

Hey there, I just got this amazing story from January's member of the month - Afsheen Ashraf, I can't praise her and her efforts enough, have a read and be inspired!
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Afsheen <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
 
Well, I’m just going to get right into the meat of it…It was at the age of 3 years old when I was diagnosed with a having a ‘growth hormone deficiency’, which basically meant I was injecting growth hormone into my body until I was around 15-16 years old.  I had 6 monthly check-ups with the doctors at the hospital and from around the age of 13, I was told I needed “to lose weight”.  Apparently with my lack of natural growth hormone, it was harder for me lose the excess weight!

So as a kid who knew absolutely nothing about nutrition, I dived straight into it with the “starvation diet”, I thought by not eating much, I would lose weight.  Which yes, I did!  However, I would only last around 2-3 days before I would give in and have a MASSIVE binge!!  When I was around 15 years old, the Doctor’s offered me some free slimming club vouchers, so obviously, I gave that a go! I was pleasantly surprised….I ended up losing around 2 stones.  But as soon as I got to my goal, a “comfortable weight/size”, I started to eat the way I did before.  I hadn’t really been educated about foods properly, in fact as long as I lost a little bit of weight, I would get a pat on the back by the slimming club “leader” (it didn’t really matter to them HOW I lost the weight, just as long as the number on the scales was going down)!!  So I ended up piling all the weight back on….plus some extra, so back I went to the slimming club, only to do  the exact same thing as I had done before – I did this for around 8 years!!  I could definitely be classed as a yo-yo dieter!! I have tried every fad diet out there and all that would happen… was that I’d pile the weight back on twice as quick!  I then joined the gym…what I thought was my last hope of getting in shape and actually getting somewhere with my body.  I was given the conventional workout programme as everyone else, around 20-30 minutes on the treadmill, 20 minutes on the crosstrainer & rower.  I would do the workout and think I had earned myself that extra slice of cake!  No wonder I NEVER got anywhere near achieving the goals I had set out to!!

THEN came the turning point, my friend had sent me a picture of me on a friends party.  I thought I looked ok on the day, but when I saw that picture…..well let’s just say I got a HUGE dose of reality!!  I couldn’t hide from it (like I did from the mirrors every day) – it was staring me in the face and I KNEW I needed to do something about it….and pronto!!  This was the time I found TLF Fitness, they were doing a 28 day Coaching Programme (FYI – Find Your Inner-self), and I instantly knew I needed to jump on board!! What attracted me to them in particular, was the fact they incorporated exercise AND nutrition into their programme, unlike the slimming clubs! You can see my results below ;) 

They helped me a lot on my mindset, as well as encouraging and motivating me so much so that I’m still there today (3 months later)!  I was given the help & support to break away from the vicious diet cycle that I was stuck in.  Slowly, slowly I was encouraged to change my habits, rather than plunging me into the deep end!  A major factor I overcame was breaking away from the emotional attachment I had with food!  I no longer turn to food to ‘solve any of my problems’….I have totally changed the way I view food & drink! I was always worried that I would miss my “junk foods”, but I was always given an alternative for my favourite foods: burger & chips, spaghetti bolognese, fish and chips etc…I even enjoy chocolate within my set nutrition plan.  My main point is, is that it NEVER feels like I am missing out or being deprived…which avoids any binging!!!  I have been taught so much about food – their positive and negative effects on my body!  Education has been a key factor!!  I think that’s why I have been able to stick to this nutrition plan; I simply ENJOY eating the foods on it!

If I faced any problems in my personal life, I was always given the encouragement I needed by you guys, to just carry on and look out for number one & to overcome any issues I had WITHOUT using food as an emotional blanket.  You’re so right, if I’m happy with myself, it is so much easier to make the people around me happy too!! ;)

To date I have lost over 40 inches & 25lbs and I’m STILL going…the fact I enjoy it, it just feels like the best and most natural method of getting into the best shape of my life.  Getting your dream body takes time, but on this coaching programme I have been taught the correct methods of achieving my goals…my dream body!!  It’s the balance between…good nutrition & exercise – I have been taught this is at the base of achieving my long term goals. 

You’ve helped to turn my life around for the better, and I can’t thank you enough for that!  I KNOW I will achieve the goals I set myself.  Even if there are ups & downs throughout my journey, with your help & support, I’m sure I’ll get through them all and will get the body I have always desired :)

My results from  the first set of 28 days….

 
My results from the second set of 28 days….

No comments:

Post a Comment